Acne affects 80% of people between 11 and 30 years and 5% of people 30 years and older. Nearly half of this population will experience some degree of scarring. Fortunately, several treatment approaches can improve the appearance of your skin. The ideal treatment depends on the severity, skin, and scar type.
This article will explain the types of acne, what causes them, the best acne scar treatments available in Florida, and the outcome you can expect from facial treatments for acne.
More Information on Acne Treatment:
Types of Acne
There are several types of acne, and knowing what type you have is crucial in finding an effective and lasting treatment. The most common forms of acne include:
- Blackheads: Open pimples with a dark surface. They are commonly found on the face.
- Whiteheads: Closed acne clogged with oil, bacteria, and dead skin cells.
- Pustules: Red pus-filled lesions. They are usually yellow or white at the top and red at the base.
- Papules: Raised, smaller lesions that feel tender to the touch.
- Nodules: Solid lesions that are larger than pustules and papules.
- Cysts: Deep, painful, fluid-filled pockets.
Whiteheads and blackheads are the most common types of acne. They are categorized as non-inflammatory acne as it doesn’t cause swelling on your skin. These two types of acne generally heal smoothly and don’t cause scarring.
As for the other types of acne, they are severe forms of acne that can be painful and lead to scarring.
Common Causes of Acne
The function of sebaceous glands, found near the skin’s surface, is to produce sebum. Sebum lubricates the skin to make it more impervious to moisture and protect it against friction. When they produce too much sebum, it mixes with dead skin cells, plugging the hole through which hair grows.
That is what causes acne. Other misconceptions, such as it is caused by poor hygiene or diet, are not true. However, some factors trigger or worsen acne. They include:
- Hormonal changes
- Medications such as drugs containing lithium
- Air pollution or weather conditions
- Personal care products
As acne clears, the body produces collagen to heal, which can lead to acne scars on your face. If the body produces too much collagen, it leads to raised acne scars. If it produces too little collagen, it leads to depressed acne scars.
What’s the Best Treatment for Acne Scars?
The best treatment for acne scars depends on your skin’s appearance, the severity of scarring, and skin type. You can use one or a combination of the following treatment options:
- Soft tissue filler: Injecting fat, collagen, and other substances under the skin
- Steroids: Injecting steroids can improve the appearance of raised scars
- Laser resurfacing: An increasingly popular method that uses lasers to remove damaged skin
- Dermabrasion: Removing the skin’s top layer using a device like a rapidly rotating brush
- Chemical peel: Removing the skin’s top layer using a chemical solution
- Skin needling: Pricking the skin with tiny needles to stimulate collagen formation
- Surgery: Your doctor cuts out individual scars and repairs the wound
- Botox: Ideal when the skin around the acne scars puckers. It improves the appearance of the acne scar.
Each treatment has different post-treatment requirements, so ask your doctor whether you can use it with other treatments, including your home acne care.
What outcome can a Person With Acne Scars Expect?
A person treated for facial acne scars can expect the number, size, and visibility of the scars to reduce. They also feel less pain and discomfort. With persistent treatment, they become barely noticeable.
Find the Best Acne Scar Treatments in Florida
Good results following acne facial scar treatments are not guaranteed. It depends on the knowledge, skill, and experience of the person treating you. So, it would be best to find the best acne scar treatments available to increase your chances of regaining your smooth skin.
If you live in Florida and are wondering, “where can I find an acne treatment near me?” consider Arviv Medical Aesthetics. We are a medical spa led by Dr. Tali Arviv, who has more than a decade of laser-technology experience. We use cutting-edge aesthetic procedures and techniques to deliver the results you desire. We serve residents of Florida in our offices in Tampa, Miami, and Ocala.
At Arviv Medical Aesthetics, we establish the underlying cause of your acne, then choose a treatment option that will clear your skin and provide lasting results. We guarantee you will look and feel better because we take pride in improving the lives of those who seek our expertise.
Contact us to start your acne scar treatment today.
Image Source: dimid_86 / charless / Shutterstock
Image Source: Misha Beliy / Shutterstock
Prices are subject to change and personalized prices will be provided upon consultation.