Sclerotherapy is an injection treatment for varicose veins that can help with both the symptoms and the aesthetic issues of having achy, enlarged veins in the lower legs and elsewhere. According to the Mayo Clinic, varicose veins and spider veins are relatively common occurrences as people age. Sometimes, these twisted, swollen veins can occur in younger people as well. Varicose veins may cause the following appearance and symptoms:
- Veins that look enlarged, twisted, or swollen
- A burning or cramping feeling in your lower legs
- Achy or throbbing legs
- Itchy veins
- Signs of skin discoloration around these abnormal veins
If you have varicose veins — or smaller, less severe versions known as spider veins that may not cause symptoms yet — you may wish to have them removed or treated so that they shrink and become less noticeable or painful. Not everyone who was varicose veins experiences pain and aching, but some do. In either case, many people find these enlarged veins to be unattractive and distracting from their overall appearance. Don’t worry if this describes you: There are non-invasive ways to treat this issue here in Miami.
Why Is Sclerotherapy Better for Spider Veins?
Spider and varicose veins occur when a vein that transports blood back to the heart is damaged. The vein essentially traps pooling blood from returning to the heart, making it look enlarged like a swollen balloon. Often, veins like this do not pose a medical problem, but they can be very uncomfortable at other times. It’s best to treat spider veins before they enlarge, and using sclerotherapy can be a great, non-invasive solution for doing so.
HOW DOES SCLEROTHERAPY WORK?
Sclerotherapy in Miami simply involves an injection of a medication directly into the vein. Your medical professional will carefully give you a shot into the affected veins during your treatment session, and it will cause the vein to shrink back to normal size.
Who Benefits Most From Sclerotherapy?
Some people may not care about the appearance of spider and varicose veins, while others are greatly bothered by these small imperfections. Ideal candidates for sclerotherapy would be those experiencing uncomfortable symptoms from the bulging veins and those who are very bothered by the appearance of these veins. Women who have developed varicose veins due to pregnancy may wish to undergo sclerotherapy treatment as well.
How Long Does a Sclerotherapy Session Take?
With a qualified, experienced practitioner, each sclerotherapy session takes around 30 to 45 minutes. Your practitioner will speak with you beforehand and make sure you are aware of what will happen as well as how to care for your recovering veins at home. Sclerotherapy costs will vary depending on the practitioner and the number of sessions involved.
What Should I Expect Before, During, and After a Sclerotherapy Session?
It’s best to be mentally and physically prepared before any medical procedure, whether cosmetic or more invasive. Though sclerotherapy poses few risks, make sure you understand what will happen as well as how to care for yourself after the procedure.
- Before the procedure: Do your best to educate yourself about the basics of sclerotherapy and consider taking notes during your consultation with your practitioner.
- During the procedure: A sclerotherapy appointment is relatively simple. Your practitioner will review what you spoke about at your consultation, answer any pertinent questions, and then inject the sclerosing agent into the affected vein or veins. This solution will irritate the vein’s lining and cause it to swell. This may sound like it would make the veins more prominent, but it has the opposite effect. Over time, scar tissue is created, and the veins shrink back to their normal size.
- After the procedure: You may be given a handout or pamphlet that tells you how to care for the injection site and how to check for signs of infection. You should avoid certain medications such as anti-inflammatories, prednisone, and certain antibiotics both before and after the procedure, as they may reduce the effectiveness of sclerotherapy or cause unnecessary bleeding. Most doctors will be OK with the use of Tylenol, but be sure to confirm this with your practitioner.
GET IN TOUCH WITH ARVIV MEDICAL AESTHETICS IN MIAMI TODAY
Looking good shouldn’t be painful or expensive. If you have varicose or spider veins that you would like to reduce in size, consider sclerotherapy — a safe, effective treatment used for almost the last 100 years to treat these issues. Get in touch with Arviv Medical Aesthetics to discuss sclerotherapy in Miami cost as well as what you wish to improve about your appearance. We will help you determine the right cosmetic procedures and services that are right for your body. We look forward to serving you!
Image Source: dimid_86 / Shutterstock
Prices are subject to change and personalized prices will be provided upon consultation.