IPL (Intense Pulsed Light) treatment helps reduce pigmentation, age spots, sun spots, small veins, redness and capillaries. These imperfections range in color from different shades of brown and red located in areas. My experience treating patients with IPL result in a significant reduction in hyperpigmentation and redness along with shrinkage of pores leaving an even skin tone and texture. Patients typically will need 1-3 initial treatments for optimal results and likely additional maintenance treatments every 6 months to a year depending on lifestyle, skin type, and significance of sun damage. Upon consultation, we will be better able to assess your needs and address any concerns.
How to prepare for your IPL treatment by avoiding the following:
- Direct sunlight for 2 weeks prior to procedure
- Tanning beds
- Chemical peels
- Collagen injections two weeks prior to treatment
- Drugs that increase your bleeding risk, such as aspirin and ibuprofen
- Creams or other products that contain vitamin A, such as RetinA, or glycolic acid
How to proceed after your treatment:
- Makeup can be used starting right after the treatment, as long as it is applied and removed very gently.
- For freckles and age spots, it is normal for the spots to look darker for 3-7 days.
- Crusting can occur, which may last up to ten days. Do not exfoliate or pick at these crusted lesions.
- Use a gentle moisturizer and cleanser for 3-5 days post treatment. Apply sunscreen daily.
- Avoid sun exposure for 2 weeks post treatment.
As a medical provider, I find that patients who commit to a skincare routine see better results with IPL treatments. I always advise patients to apply SPF 30+ daily as part of their morning routine. A good cleanser and toner used twice daily will help get rid of any dirt or impurities in the pores and help keep them tighter. I also recommend using a Vitamin C serum and retinol to help with brightening and reduce fine lines.